30 de November de 2018 By webmastergafic

NIE: foreign workers and self-employed

If you are a foreigner, you will need the NIE (Foreigners Identification Number) to be able to relate professionally to Spain. Therefore, this article will solve many of the questions you will have right now about how to obtain the NIE, necessary documents, how to register or how to pay your rent.

Do not forget that in our office Gafic we advise on tax, labor and accounting levels also new clients. If this is your case and you are a foreigner, this article will solve many doubts.

Basic information about the NIE:

  1. What is it?
  2. What is it for?
  3. How to obtain it?
  4. Documents?
  5. Term of emission?

1. What is the NIE?

The NIE or Foreigner Identification Number is a unique and personal number for each foreigner in Spain, related to the identification number of Spanish citizens.

It consists of 9 digits, two of which are letters (one at the beginning and one at the end) and the rest are numbered. For example, an NIE would be “X5836897X”.

2. What is the NIE for?

It is of vital importance for the residents and owners of a property in Spain

The NIE document is necessary for foreigners (including EU citizens) who intend to live (reside) or own property in Spain.

The NIE is necessary for any economic activity in Spain, such as: buying or selling a property or vehicle, registering at the office and paying taxes, obtaining a driver’s license, owning a company, working, accessing to social security and health services or access to public services, opening a local bank account, etc.

3. How can I get the NIE?

Three assumptions are accepted for the assignment of NIE due to economic, professional or social interests:

  • Those presented in Spain personally by the interested party
  • Those presented in Spain through a representative
  • Those presented in diplomatic representations or Spanish consular offices located in the applicant’s country of residence, corresponding to their residence demarcation.

Those presented in Spain will be made in the General Directorate of the Police, provided that the foreigner is not in an irregular situation in Spain.

Undoubtedly, the best option is to process it from the Spanish consulate in your country of origin before coming to Spain.

4. What documents do I need?

The following documents must be presented in the assignment of the NIE:

  • Standard official form (EX-15)
  • Original and copy of passport or identity document, travel titles or registration card in force
  • Communication of the economic, professional or social causes that justify the request

When it is done through a representative, it must have sufficient power in which it is expressly stated that it is authorized for this process

5. How long is the NIE issued?

It takes approximately 1 to 4 weeks (depending on the administrative workload).

The NIE certificate must be collected by the applicant or his representative.


How to obtain a work or residence permit if you do not belong to the European Union?

It is necessary to know that there are different types of permits depending on the work you are going to do:

  1. Workers employed
  2. Self-employed workers (self-employed)

Let’s see then the differences and needs of each of the previous options.

1. Employees

Employees are those who are hired by an employer.

It will be the employer who must apply for the residence and work permit, it can be renewed and it will be valid for one year.

The employer must make the request through the immigration office of the province where the work activity is to take place.

2. Self-employed workers

Self-employed workers are those who are hired by themselves, that is, they are entrepreneurs.

This permit is an authorization for the foreigner not resident in Spain to start an activity on their own (self-employed)

There are a number of requirements that you can consult on the immigration page.


Where should I make the income statement?

If you are a foreigner and work in Spain, you can make the declaration for impurities.
This regime is a declaration of the income of resident foreigners, destined to those employees who acquire fiscal residence in Spain.

Thus, can choose to pay by model 150 during the first year in which the residence is acquired as the following 5. Up to € 600,000 of income, taxed at 24%.


What is meant by a natural person resident in Spain?

It is understood that a natural person resides in Spain, when the following circumstances occur:

  • That he stays in Spain more than 183 days during the calendar year.
  • When the basis of your activities or economic interests is located in Spain.
  • When the spouse not legally separated and the minor children who depend on him habitually reside in Spain.
  • Individuals with Spanish nationality who prove their residence in a tax haven will continue to be considered as taxpayers in the IRPF during that and the four years following the change of residence.

1. Workers:

1.1 Foreign workers traveling to Spain

Those workers who are employed by others and are not taxpayers by the IRPF, but will acquire such condition for their move to Spain, will have to inform the Administration of said circumstance. They will be issued a document so that the player can practice the withholdings in accordance with IRPF regulations.

Whenever there is a stay in Spain of at least 183 days during the calendar year.

1.2 Workers moving abroad

Those workers who, not being taxpayers by the IRNR (Tax on Rendering of Nonresidents) and are going to acquire this condition for a transfer abroad, can communicate it to the Tax Agency through the 247 model.
The employer will practice the withholdings according to the IRNR during the year of the displacement and the following one.

2. Autonomous

2.1 High self-employed as a European citizen

To register as a self-employed person as a European citizen, the first thing you must do is apply for the NIE. As a citizen of the EU, the procedure is simpler, you just have to provide a copy of your identity card and present an explanation of the professional, economic or social interests that lead you to work in Spain.

Once you have the NIE you must register with the Treasury for foreigners, they will register you in the business census and later, you must go to the Social Security to register with your NIE.

Whether you are a European citizen or not, you must write a business plan to present it to the corresponding government delegation.

And remember, if you are a resident in Spain and have NIE, you will pay your taxes as a Spanish citizen more, yes, if you live less than 183 days (taking sporadic absences into account) you will not be considered a resident and will be taxed by the IRNR.

2.2 Autonomous discharge as a non-EU alien

To register as a self-employed person when you are a non-EU citizen, you must be over 16 years of age and obtain a series of administrative authorizations to carry out the activity in Spain.

The requirements to obtain the registration as autonomous will be the following:

– Must possess the professional qualification necessary to practice certain professions.

– To have the necessary capital to start the project.

– Forecast of viability of the activity, that is, that the activity produces sufficient economic resources from the first year.

– Do not have a criminal record in Spain, nor have a record (for existing crimes in the Spanish legal system) in your country of origin.

– And most importantly, do not find yourself in an irregular situation in Spain.

The procedure will be done in the Spanish Consular Office in their country of origin through the EX07 model.